Digital Design Team Lead
Job Code: 3109
Business Address / Job Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Group: Mixed-Signal IC Design
Degree Requirements: BSEE, MSEE preferred, with 7+ years of experience
Our Kelowna Design Center is located in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, a region known for its wineries, long hot summers and exceptional skiing. We offer the unique opportunity to design and develop highly integrated, mixed signal circuits for audio/video consumer electronics applications in one of the most beautiful locations in North America.
Our knowledge with signal converters has lead to some of the world’s best audio DACs and ADCs. This expertise along with a “hands-on” approach to all aspects of IC design, gives a working environment and quality of life that is second to none.
Areas of Responsibility
Our IC’s are based on state-of-the-art CMOS technologies containing large digital blocks and precision analog circuits. As a Digital Design Team Lead, you are very interested in working in a dynamic team environment where innovation is highly regarded. You will oversee a group of talented digital designers and firmware engineers and will be responsible for the digital design portion of highly integrated, mixed signal integrated circuits developed for use in the ESS portfolio of products. You will also be an active member of the team that defines the specifications and the architecture of new systems and functions. You will be interacting with analog engineers to deliver mixed signal solutions. You will also work with the CAD team to ensure the proper synthesis, placement, and routing of your designs.
The successful candidate will have several years experience in the Verilog language, will be comfortable with modern simulation and synthesis tools, and will have expert level knowledge of FPGA design. An understanding of design for test, Synopsys timing constraints and integration of digital with analog designs is required. Proficiency in Modelsim, MATLAB, embedded systems programming, common communications protocols such as I2C, I2S, SPI, Xilinx FPGA tools, as well as strong debugging skills are preferred. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable with common lab tools, such as oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies and soldering equipment.
Clarification of role of the Digital Design Team Lead
- Has taped out fully working silicon into a production state, that was fully implemented, tested, verified, documented by the group.
- Builds the team to the point that execution of the digital design and verification roles are met.
- Has a verification “team” or sub group, that is fully responsible from functional verification at RTL and synthesis, routed level.
- Responsible for system level modeling, and partitioning that into blocks that are to be implemented by the group.
- Able to teach the new less experienced members of the group the way ESS designs digital circuits.
- Enforces documentation of digital design process, holds the meetings for the review process of the design, verification, etc.
- Updates and innovates new measures to have the design group run more efficiently.
- Gives high level status reports of the groups progress, and shortcomings, then works to address the shortcomings.
- Able to implement a full chip digital design, with no direct supervision. Must be able to use the tools or identify the tools to get the design done.
- Able to hold training sessions to newer designers and verification engineers and teach them about all the core blocks ESS uses in digital design. For example, Filters, modulators, DSP, 8051 interfacing, Audio interfacing protocols (I2S, SPDIF), Communication Interfacing protocols (I2C, SPI, TDM..)
- Make architectural decisions for the digital design group, and fully execute through the team that direction.
- Implements the Digital Design flow and updates it as necessary to improve the execution of the group.
- Holds the group accountable for the tasks and schedules needed, helps define the schedules up front, then works to keep them.
- Gives status update reports on all projects and their progress.
- Takes full responsibility for the Digital Design process creation, execution, tracking.
- Creates the architecture for the digital design blocks, and documents it for the team to understand.
Remember your job code, and
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org